Sunday, May 5, 2013
Reflection 9
I remember in high school my classmates and I were not allowed to use our cell phones at all- even in the hallways.This article discusses the fact that students actually do use their cell phones for educational purposes. There are plenty of statistics in the post that show students who use cell phones to complete homework and do research. Often times it's easy to assume that students only use technology for purposes such as social media, however they also use to it to further their education, which is something I think needs to be taken into consideration.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think this is a really interesting concept, but as I read over the article, the one thing I noticed (which could be solved if I was able to read the actual research and not just some selected statistics) was that it wasn't evident what capacity the technology was being used for. It makes sense that phones could be used for educational purposes, but overall, are most students actually doing that with their phones? Especially when you are in class and there are other means of using technology, is a cell phone necessarily the most appropriate means of technology use? This is a very interesting concept, indeed.
ReplyDeleteThere is also a danger in allowing students to use technology in the classroom. It would be very heavily monitored because students can easily go on facebook, or youtube while pretending to be doing school related activities. However, if a task is assigned, most students would work on the assignment along with IM-ing their friends on facebook, so I don't think that all hope is lost with allowing technology in the class. I just feel like it would need to be monitored well.
ReplyDelete