Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Week 3

I found Marc Pensky's article on Digital Natives verses Digital Immigrants very interesting. . Growing up overseas and being considered an immigrant, I never knew what was going on. In this sense, I have a lot more compassion for the older generation that does not understand the great things about technology.

My grandfather was a teacher and we recently had a conversation about the use of technology in education. I told him I thought it was wonderful how much access to information students have today, but he did not agree. In his opinion, the most effective way to learn is from a physical book, with a notepad and pen.

After reading this article I understand better that his brain was programmed that way, which is why he has that preference. I also understand now that children's brains these days are wired completely different as they are constantly surrounded by technology. Technology is to today's children, what the book, pen and notepad were to the generation before, and I think it is important to accept that and use that information to help children learn today.

No comments:

Post a Comment