I learned a lot about the SMART Board in class. I think it is a great advancement in the world of education as it helps students with all sorts of learning styles. For example, students who are visual learners will be able to have their needs met solely by looking at the board. The SMART board is interactive which means that students who need to learn through physical activity can have their needs met by physically using the board. The SMART board plays sounds as well which helps students who learn aurally.
I still have questions about whether the board may be distracting to some students and how often it should be used? Should it be used for every class period or should other lessons be taught using the white board or using other methods as well?
You make an interesting point about how the board could be distracting for some students. I hadn't really thought that it could be engaging for some and distracting for others.
ReplyDeleteWhat features of the board do you think would be most distracting to students who have trouble focusing in class? How do you think you could use the SMART board to eliminate those distracting features? Or is it the SMART board itself that students would find distracting?
Professor Adair expressed it well when she said that it depends on the technological fluency of the teacher. It would be a distraction if the teacher were fumbling with the board without any backup plan. Often, I find myself distracted by the thought that our other professors may have issues and brace myself for the lull-time. I think if the focus is on the content, then the children will cease to see the board as a distraction.
ReplyDeleteI have the same question that you do. I know that when we are in class and a SMART Board is being used, I sometimes become distracted if the Board isn't working properly or if something fascinating is happening with it. I would say that especially for me, my elementary students will become distracted, and I will need to learn how to use it as a tool and not as the focus.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing:)
Erin